Monday 19 November 2007

Being weird in Vietnam

Yes, i know the blog was nearly declared deceased.But tonight, I have something to share. Something that amused me. :)
I came home starving.....but, I also felt like having an easy stroll. I have been struggling with a stomach that's not well, so it was going to have to be a nice, easy, slow stroll......I strolled down to Papa Joe's and had supper.

After supper I decided to gently continue this very enjoyable stroll.I must've been about 100 m from Papa Joe's when I noticed bikes bearing down on me.
On the sidewalk.
Yes. You read correctly.

That's when i noticed that in the double lane road, the very busy double lane road next to the lake, there was this huge branch blocking off the one lane.It basically stuffed up traffic good.....which would be why the bikes decided to use the sidewalk.
I decided to do what I would do at home. Move the branch. I went over and started dragging on it. Damn, branch is heavier than anticipated. Okay. Time to get serious. I took my handbag off of my shoulder and put it somewhere reeeeelatively out of reach (eeeeek!!!), and then got down to business.
I lugged that branch onto the sidewalk......nearly taking out a bike in the process. Yes, a bike on the sidewalk! Feeling quite good about myself......good deed for the day and all that.....I went back to fetch my handbag. As I bent down to pick it up, this bike stopped next to me and this French guy asks me, Are you okay...do you need assistance? I was a bit taken aback, to say the least.....I just grinned (i was feeling good!), and said, No, I just moved the branch. I'm fine.
His comment? Why?
Why?What does he mean WHY? This is what I must be doing wrong. I saw people looking at me, but I assumed it's in absolute adoration.........uhm.......... i mean thankfulness..........now I realise that they just thought me very, very weird.All I could come up with was, "well it was either move the branch or get run over by a bike".
Oh well, it's fun being weird in Vietnam!Till I blog again!

No comments: