Sunday 7 October 2007

Bat Trang experience

I went to Bat Trang today. To quote my National Geographic Traveller book.
"On the Red River 14 km southeast of town, Bat Trang ("bowl workshop") is a 500 year old village of thatched huts whose pieces are among the collections at the Louvre".
It is the best known pottery centre in Vietnam.

Huong (one of my colleagues) and myself went by bus to Bat Trang. It was an interesting trip in the sense that the road is a bit wonky. Very bumpy and when the busdriver stops, you kinda slide forward in your seat. Very serious about stopping dead, now. :)

We spent the whole morning walking through the flea market style with me acting tourist. I bought all sorts of trinkets as well as some bowls and spoons to take home. Oh, almost forgot, also some work to hang on my wall. :)

I saw so many things that I would've loved to buy. But, for once I thought my way through things. I saw theeee most beautiful coffee set ( probably considered a tea set, but in the eye of the beholder.....), but then I thought of the coffee set I already owned which is rarely used. Really no need to buy another one.

It was a most enjoyable day. I did not spend as much money as I thought I would, but I did get all my presents bought. :)

So, the week awaits me now......and I'm a bad South African. I'm not in the mood for company tonight, so therefore, I shall not see the game between SA and Fiji.
I will attempt to keep track of the game online.

Till I blog again!

No comments: